by Staff Writer
On June 7-9, 2012, the National Chilocco Alumni Association Reunion took place at the First Council Event Center and Chilocco Campus in Newkirk/Chilocco, Ok. The First Council Casino and Hotel hosted the event. This was the 118th Annual reunion for the Chilocco Indian School. The Chilocco Agricultural Indian School opened in 1884 and closed in 1980 as Chilocco Indian School. Below are scenes from the campus, the 2012 powwow and banquet.
Scenes from the 2012 National Chilocco Alumni Reunion
Scenes from the 2012 National Chilocco Alumni Powwow
Apache Fire Dancers
Muscogee (Creek) John David King Receives Citizenship Award
Chilocco graduates receive Chilocco National Alumni Association Citizenship Award. Chilocco National Alumni Association President Jim Baker(Choctaw) , pictured in the middle, presents the Citizenship Award to Chilocco graduates John David King (Muscogee(Creek)) and his wife Claudine King (Chickasaw). Harold “Huck” Burris, not pictured, was also a recipient of the Chilocco National Alumni Association’s Citizenship Award.
Scenes from the Chilocco Campus June 9, 2012
Caption reads, “Company C, 279th Infantry, 45th Division, left the Chilocco Campus in September of 1950, leaving a lonesome spot in the hearts of many students and employees. In this group were seventy-six men and boys including members of the student body, sons of employees, former students, and Chilocco employees—The calling into active duty of the Thunderbirds marks the third time in the history of Chilocco that its students have been called from classes to serve our country in times of danger—1918, 1940, 1950—Short periods of leave from Camp Polk, Louisiana, brought many back to Chilocco for brief visits and they seemed not too far away; but in March 1951, the 45th sailed for Japan and again we treasure pictures like these—It is an honor to dedicate the 1951 CHILOCCOAN to our friends and former classmates now with Company C, 279th Infantry of the famed Thunderbird Division.”
Old Chilocco Power Plant. Chilocco Indian School was a self-sufficient community that grew it’s own food, had it’s own power plant and water tower. According to the book They Called It Prairie Light: The Story of Chilocco Indian School, “The grain and hay, dairy products, vegetable and orchard produce, eggs, poultry, and livestock raised by the students were prepared in the dining hall or sold to supplement appropriations. Agriculture revenues kept the school open.”