On January 28, 2012, Muscogee (Creek) Nation Principal Chief George Tiger annouced his “90-Day Plan” at the State of the Nation Address. Below is the full text from Tiger’s “Memorandum Of Understanding” to the Muscogee (Creek) National Council.
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING OF PROPOSED 90 DAY PLAN
To: Muscogee (Creek) Nation National Council
DATE: January 28, 2012
RE: First 90-Day Plan
- NCA-10-189. Implement the 3 inferior courts consisting of the District Court-Criminal Division, District Court-Civil Division, District Court-Family Division .
- Special Judge Appointment. Appoint a Special Judge.
- Supreme Court. Name two appointments who will consistently uphold the Constitution of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation.
- Audit. Commence a financial audit of the Judiciary including all bank accounts previously under judiciary control.
- Legal Review Commission. Appoint a three person Legal Review Commission to review the Muscogee Nation legal code to recommend revisions and a general “clean-up” of the Code to ensure that the legal Code is consistent and clear.
- At-Large Council Representation. Will review to determine if the “at-large” representation is truly constitutional. Findings will be shared with the National Council.
- Community Meeting(s). Meet with the leadership and members of all Muscogee (Creek) Communities to solicit their input into needed reforms and to listen to community concerns .
- Department of Community Development. Will review department policies and procedures with the goal of providing additional support and resources to the communities.
- Community Lawsuits. Will move to withdraw and/or settle any and pending lawsuits and to re-establish a relationship of mutual trust and respect between the Muscogee (Creek) Nation government and the communities.
- Tobacco compacts. Will initiate a process of a satisfactory settlement of issues with the State of Oklahoma and begin negotiations on a tobacco compact.
- Title 11 Facilities Use Agreements. Will ensure that these Agreements are in place for each community and that these Agreements are clear and fair.
- Community Development Funding. Submit funding applications to provide funds for economic development at the local community level.
- Customer service orientation. Will instill a customer service orientation to the Controller’s office and will ensure that this department has an attitude of co-operation and support of program and service areas.
- Management decisions. Will ensure that the Controller’s has robust and comprehensive financial controls and procedures in
place but that the Controller’s office will not be making management decisions that are more properly the authority of the program managers.
- Training. Will direct the Controller to conduct periodic training for program staff and employees to ensure that employees are
informed about the Nation’s necessary fiscal policies and operational procedures.
- Budgets. Will reform the budgeting processes to allow program and department managers ample time to carefully formulate their budgets. In recent years they have been given only about two weeks to do so. They should have at least 30-60 days for their budget planning process.
- Corporate Charters. Will move forward with the expressed will of the National Council to reorganize Gaming and Non-Gaming Enterprises into OIWA Sec. 3 corporate charters.
- Small Business Development Center. The Nation has already submitted a planning grant for the creation of a Small Business Development Center within the first two weeks of my administration. The Small Business Center will assist our Muscogee citizens with the creation of their business and the expansion of existing Creek-owned businesses. This will create additional jobs and economic development in our communities.
- Review of Banking Services. I will authorize and commence the review of all financial services currently being provided by the Nation and will identify necessary reforms and improvements.
- Permanent Fund. I will authorize a financial review of the investment performance of the Nation’s Permanent Fund and to identify ways to increase our Fund earnings while maintaining the safety of the Fund.
- Business Model. I will authorize the review and evaluation of Trade and Commerce and MBNE business models. With assistance of these entities we will identify ways to enhance earnings and job opportunities.
- New BusinessVentures. Implement the Economic Development Committee/Due Diligence Committee process. We will judiciously
look for and carefully evaluate investments in new non-gaming business opportunities.
- Three Person Gaming Commission. Consider the establishment of a three person gaming commission with a full-time Gaming
- Mackey Sand Bar Property. I will authorize and begin a process that will result in the drafting of a Master Development Plan for the Mackey Sand Bar Property and related real estate owned by the Nation. This new Master Development Plan will maximize the highest and best use of additional development of the property to include a large hotel, conference and event center.
2nd CHIEF ROLE:
- I will authorize a greatly expanded role for the 2nd Chief and will assign a significant and meaningful role in serving the Muscogee Nation.
- Appoint New Advisory Board. Will create and appoint a new Advisory Board for the Health Systems of Muscogee (Creek) Nation. This Board will not have operational authority but shall provide important advice to the Nation regarding operational and service improvements.
- Appoint New Health Administrator/Director
- Evaluate and update current management and accounting systems, and update Health Improvement Plan.
- Expedited Application Process. Housing will launch a review and evaluation of the current process for approving home application and the time frame for building or acquiring homes and for home rehab with the goal of speeding up the overall process.
- Additional Funding for Housing. Housing will identify other non-NAHASDA funding sources and report back with ways in which the Nation can augment its Housing budget so as to put more citizens in homes.
- Emergency Services. In addition, Housing will launch a review of the current processes for delivering Emergency Services to tribal members in ways ensure a safety net for our most vulnerable citizens.
- Establish a Higher Education Foundation. To enhance the Tribal scholarship program for higher education we will launch a Foundation funded entirely by outside sources to compliment and increase scholarships for tribal members pursuing higher education degrees in their field of interest and choice.
- Implementing an Expedient System for Scholarships funds. To work with Controller and Higher Education office personnel to implement a system for scholarship funds to be received at the higher education institutions in a timely manner to ensure student’s good standing with the institutions.
George Tiger, Principal Chief